New Contemplative Center Planned for the California Central Coast
The 17th Gyalwa Karmapa Trinley Thaye Dorje has announced his intention to establish a new Contemplative Center in the United States. The Center is to be located in San Luis Obispo County, California, which is known for its majestic ocean views, beautiful rolling hills, oak woodlands and diverse habitat of flora and fauna. The Karmapa considers this Center to be of great importance and through its activities believes it can contribute to the peace, prosperity and well-being of the American people. The Karmapa foresees many different groups working together at the Center to create positive change for the benefit of all. Siddhartha Foundation International is proud to support this project.
The 17th Gyalwa Karmapa Thaye Dorje is the head of the 900 year-old Karma Kagyu Lineage, one of the four major schools of Tibetan Buddhism. The 17th Karmapa’s main residence is in Kalimpong, India and his European headquarters is located in Central France. Over 850 contemplative centers in more than 60 countries operate under the spiritual guidance of the 17th Karmapa Thaye Dorje. Each year thousands of people are deeply touched by the Karmapa’s wisdom and compassion as he teaches throughout the world and meets with spiritual leaders and state dignitaries.
The Purpose of the Central Coast Center is to:
- Establish a Public Meditation Center for the study and practice of the Dharma
- Offer a Place of Inspiration to address challenging issues facing our global community such as quality of life and environmental concerns
- Establish a Library for the preservation, study and translation of Dharma texts
- Construct a Stupa of Enlightenment
- Serve as the Main Center of the 17th Karmapa Thaye Dorje in the United States